Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Really, Just Really

I am a 17 year veteran of the educational system.  I am not new to teaching.  I have been through one or two or ten principals and a couple of superintendents.   I know my content area.  I know kids.  I am tough.  My kids deserve my toughness.  They only have one year left before the big bad real world hits them square in the face.  I accept no excuses.

I spend my summers preparing for the upcoming school year.  I always feel prepared.  I am always ready.

Why am I so unprepared at this point in the year?  Why can't I seem to get caught up?  Why is the administration changing everything every week?  The paperwork is threatening to drown me.  The endless deadlines that have nothing to do with teaching are causing me to reach my breaking point.  I am constantly told how little money there is; yet I constantly see financial waste.  When did teaching become more about numbers and not at all about students?

Now I have to turn in lesson plans on Friday instead of Monday in order to make life easier on the principal.  But administration did make it easier for me to plan...they got my a binder filled with all kinds of resources...my binder has 20 sheets in it compared to other teachers' with over 200.

I still haven't contacted every one of my students' parents.  It's really hard when I don't get home until 7 because of band practice.  I guess I need to stop teaching one day in order to get caught up.

No wonder people leave the profession....I am a paper pusher instead of a grower of minds.

Momma, I don't wanna go to school today.  It's no fun there anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment