Saturday, November 15, 2014

Heroes Among Us

As a high school history teacher for 16 years, I have had several hundred young men and women grace my classroom. Several have been outstanding young people.  Several have remained in my thoughts and prayers years after they have moved on.  Some I stay in contact with to this day.  I have kept up with the lives of many post-school...good and bad.  I understood the impact these young people had on my life.  However I never realized the impact they would have on my son.  My son is my classroom's unofficial mascot.  Now that he has started school (my school is officially a 7-12; however the elementary is connected to the high school by one long hallway), everyone knows him.  He comes to my room in the afternoon with 15 minutes of class left.  My students will automatically ask, "What color were you on today?"  He is high-fived as he walks down the hallway.  I secretly smile at it all.  What mother doesn't want everyone to like/love her son?

As color guard sponsor, I am required to go to all football games.  I really didn't/don't mind.  My husband and son went to most as well.  During one game my son was chosen by the local newspaper reporter to be the Fan of the Game. During the "interview" Farris was asked who his favorite player was.  Farris replied that he worn #4 because Jaylin Aikens was his player.  Jaylin wears #4 for our high school team.  I never dreamed what would follow.

Jaylin started seeking Farris out to get fist-bumps to or high-fives.  It was requested that they take picture together on senior night.  And then  Farris was given this as a present:
For a high school senior to go out of his way to try to make my son happy, bring indescribable joy into my heart.  My son has a hero that he gets to see everyday.  His hero plays football and, to him, is just as great as any NFL player.  My son's hero has already taught him the value of bringing joy to other.  I wish all 5 year-old's had a hero as real as my son.
 I hope these two are friends for years.  Farris will be a fan of Jaylin's for a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment