Monday, June 13, 2016

I Am Not Sociable

I am a teacher.  I get summers off....Not!!!  I started planning for next year as soon as last year was over.  I have two workshops to attend and a new curriculum to write.  And I do want to spend quality time with my own family.

The first workshop has come and gone.  It was a three day event on the Mississippi Gulf Coast.  I spent two nights away from my family...right in the middle of Vacation Bible School.  This is normally a time for my co-workers and I to socialize away from school.  Normally I enjoy the sitting around the "dinner table" and shooting the breeze.  This year was a little different.  A vast majority of the teachers attending were several years younger.  Most enjoy the bar area.  And clicks were formed.  And I had a new book (the third in a series) that I was DYING to read.  And I had a room to myself.

I am weird.  I go to conferences to actually get new ideas...to improve my teaching.  I don't go to let my hair down.  I don't enjoy drinking.  I don't enjoy being in that scene.  I don't get why some think that conference means:  oh, I can do things here that I can't or won't at home.  I resent being made to feel that I have to be in that situation to socialize with my co-workers.

No comments:

Post a Comment